Audio DCO: where creativity meets data
Digital audio has a stand-out feature – it is a means of mass distribution consumed in a personal way. Advertisers should now add personalised, dynamic advertising creations using the potential of audio DCO.
What is audio DCO?
Digital advertising has long been familiar with the principles of Dynamic Creative Optimisation. Audio DCO techniques are applied in the world of digital audio (online radio, streaming, podcasts, voice assistants). The idea is to vary the versions of an advertising message according to the target audience.
Specifically, an audio DCO campaign requires a message to be broken down into fixed and variable parts (this is where the message can naturally be reproduced and personalised).
Available segmentation data
The most common (and simplest) form of audio DCO uses the location data of Internet users. For example, an audio advertisement can indicate the location of the point of sale closest to the listener. However, audio DCO approaches offer other personalisation tools – demographic, behavioural or contextual.
The advertiser can base his targeting criteria on 5 main areas of segmentation: demographics, geography, retargeting, psychology/behaviour and attribution.
Why invest in audio DCO?
The main drivers for investment in audio programming – both in terms of buying and selling – were mainly related to the effectiveness of targeting and associated data.
- As regards buyers, this is the possibility of delivering a commercial audio message to a wide target audience. Optimisation techniques for creating dynamic messages (audio DCO) already influence 27% of space buyers today.
- As for sellers, the arguments lie in the optimisation of media value and automation.
What are the advantages of audio DCO for advertisers?
The use of audio DCO techniques offers advertisers multiple new targeting opportunities:
- Targeting the right audience immediately and reducing lost or unnecessary impressions;
- Creating a more personalised experience for the target audience;
- Creating engagement with the audience by eliminating the fatigue experienced by consumers in the face of advertising (ad fatigue);
- Promoting brand retention and exposure to customers.
Audio DCO: success stories
Many campaigns have already taken advantage of the exploitation of big data (OpenWeather) in the field of audio advertising.
For example, Stella Cidre has seen a 65.6% increase in sales (YOY) by launching a digital audio advertising campaign based on weather data. La Redoute saw a 34% increase in traffic to its website after launching a campaign based on variations in temperature or rainfall.
Finally, Nestlé saw a 31% increase in repeat purchases after launching a campaign for ice cream cones in regions with high temperatures.
Targetspot, part of AudioValley, is a global Adtech company, pioneer in digital audio marketing solutions to connect brands to their audience through a premium portfolio of publishers across all dimensions of digital audio.
Exciting digital audio news and offers in your mailbox